ARNA Research Grants may be offered by ARNA National and ARNA Chapters. These grants will be made available as ARNA funds allow and may not be offered every year.
To provide financial assistance to members of the ARNA for the purposes of conducting research in line with ARNA’s research priorities.
The applicant must be a voting member of ARNA and have been a financial member for a minimum of two consecutive years prior to the Grant application. There will be a period of two years between each successful ARNA Research Grant or ARNA Research Training Scholarship application, and a report must have been submitted following any previous grant/scholarship.
The research is required to be completed within 18 months of the receipt of the grant.
Utilization of funds
ARNA Research Grant funds must be used for the purposes indicated in the Grant offer and detailed in the Grant application. Any significant variations need to be approved by ARNA.
The funds may be used for:
- salary replacement to allow the ARNA member to complete the research project or specific research activities;
- employment of a research assistant (e.g. to collect and collate data);
- payment for services from another department/organization e.g. health information services and transcription services;
- contracting a statistician or other relevant expert;
- administrative costs (e.g. photocopying, printing, postage, ethics application fees);
- telecommunications costs including phone and videoconferencing;
- travel and accommodation costs for the purpose of data collection; or
- computer software.
Funds may not be used for:
- attendance at conferences;
- purchase of computers or computer hardware;
- insurance costs; or
- reimbursement of previous costs.
Duration of the Grant
Grants not taken up within three months of advice of the award will lapse unless an application showing good cause for an extension, received within that three-month period, is approved. Approvals are not automatic and will only be given in extenuating circumstances.
Grants are awarded for an 18 month period from the date of transfer of the funds to the relevant cost-centre. Requests for extensions of time to complete the research may be approved, but applications for extensions must be made before the end of the funding period.
Grant monies not expended at the end of the 18 month funding period may be recovered by ARNA unless an extension of time has been granted.
Acknowledgment of Funding
The funding support of an ARNA Research Grant must be acknowledged in all publications, presentations etc. resulting from research funded by the ARNA.
- Each year as part of their budget work up, the National Committee will include in the ARNA budget an allocation of funds for Research Grants; Chapters may also do this in relation to their Chapter budgets.
- Following this, the Committee will minute the number and value of any grants to be made available to members that financial year.
- This information will be updated on the ARNA website annually.
- The closing date for applications is 31 March (extended to 30 April in 2019). In the event that a Grant is not awarded a second round may occur with a closing date of 31 August.
- Applications must adhere to the Application Guidelines, otherwise they will not be considered.
- All Research Grant applications will be emailed as an attachment to the ARNA office, firstname.lastname@example.org, by 4pm on the due date using ‘ARNA <National or Name of Chapter> Research Grant Application’ as the subject of the email. The ARNA office will forward all Research Grant application to members of the ARNA National Research Working Group.
- Assessment of all Research Grant applications will be undertaken by the ARNA National Research Working Group. In the case of Chapter Research Grants, the relevant Chapter committee will be invited to appoint a member of that Chapter to join the ARNA National Research Working Group to participate in the assessment process.
- The ARNA National Research Working Group will forward recommendations to the awarding committee, ie ARNA National Committee or the relevant Chapter committee to award the grant. Applicants will be notified of outcomes within six weeks of the closing date.
- Requests for variations (either in the research design or grant expenditure) and extensions need to be made in writing to the ARNA office, email@example.com, using either ‘Research Grant variation’ or ‘Research Grant extension’ as the subject of the email.
- All requests for variations and extensions will be emailed to the ARNA National Research Working Group, who will assess the requests and make recommendations to the relevant awarding committee.
- Successful applicants must provide feedback in the form of a final report as per the Report Guidelines. This report may be published in JARNA or the ARNA Newsletter.
View the full submission guidelines
- Only applications that meet the eligibility criteria and adhere to the Application Guidelines will be considered.
- Applications will be judged on their fit with ARNA’s research priorities, their potential to enhance rehabilitation nursing knowledge and practice, and their potential to improve the processes and outcomes of patient care
- Applications will be judged on their overall quality.